Metro Hotels Australia Website

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Qantas Increase Regional Air Services to Gladstone


QantasLink this week announced it would add approximately 5000 seats across a range of Queensland regional routes, including Gladstone, with the arrival of another new flagship Bombardier Q400 aircraft next month.

Over coming months Gladstone, Barcaldine, Blackall, Bundaberg, Emerald, Hervey Bay, Longreach, Mackay, Moranbah, Rockhampton and Roma will all benefit from additional and upgraded services to and from Brisbane, with many flights operated by the 74-seat jet-like Q400s.

QantasLink executive manager, Narendra Kumar, said the increase in capacity would support the recovery of many central, western and south east Queensland communities affected by the recent devastating floods.

The arrival of yet another new Q400 will see 12 of these 74-seat aircraft based in Queensland. With 10 other Dash 8 aircraft dedicated to Queensland flying, QantasLink’s Queensland Dash 8 fleet will total 22.

Details of the additional seats and Brisbane return services per week effective from 6 April are:


- Gladstone Additional 392 seats per week (six % growth). Weekly return services to increase by two to 46


- Bundaberg Additional 384 seats per week (12 % growth). More than half of the 27 return services to be operated by Q400 aircraft

- Emerald Additional 888 seats per week (22 % growth). Weekly return services to increase by six to 34 return flights, most operated by Q400 aircraft

- Hervey Bay Additional 604 seats per week (30 % growth), with more services operated by Q400 aircraft

- Mackay Additional 148 seats per week (four % growth). Weekly return services to increase by one to 25, all operated by Q400 aircraft

- Moranbah Additional 868 seats per week (86 % growth). Weekly return services to increase by nine to 20, including a new early morning flight from Brisbane Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday allowing day return travel

- Rockhampton Additional 880 seats per week (13 % growth). 47 return services per week, mainly operated by Q400 aircraft

- Roma Additional 472 seats per week (29 % growth). Weekly return services to increase by five to 22 per week. Five of these will continue to extend to Charleville alongside two direct services to Charleville per week.

Short term capacity upgrades using Q400 aircraft will also be provided for Longreach, Barcaldine and Blackall.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gladstone Business Technology Expo


GLADSTONE Region’s inaugural Business Technology Expo is to be held at CQ University on the 6th April 2011 after the postponement earlier in the year.

As Queensland recovers, the 2011 Business Technology Expo provides a prime opportunity for businesses to reconnect networks and revamp their business plans to include the latest and greatest in technology.

GAPDL Chief Executive Glenn Churchill gave an outline of what to expect at the inaugural 2011 Business Technology Expo.

“The Expo will showcase the latest technology and information services available to assist businesses across a wide range of topics including fraud prevention, online marketing and search engine optimisation.”

“The 2011 Business Technology Expo is a great strategy that GAPDL believes will grow existing Regional business.”

GAPDL Project GROW Officer, Karen Sweeney said the Business Technology Expo will kick off with special guest Pete Blasina, the ‘Gadget Guy’ from “Sunrise” followed by presentations which will allow participants to take advantage of information, business and technological updates.

“The Expo will be a great opportunity to access all the information small businesses require from many expert Exhibitors. Businesses can also register for FREE specialist consultations which will be available during the afternoon session,” Ms Sweeney said.

For more information on the 2011 Business Technology Expo or to book your seat or exhibitor site please contact GAPDL Project GROW Officer Karen Sweeney on 4972 4000.

(Source: Gladstone Observer, March 2011)

LNG roadshow in Gladstone


THE liquefied natural gas (LNG) road show is in Gladstone again with Australia Pacific LNG demonstrating for the third time the safety of the new energy source.

Armed with a rose, a balloon, a steel pipe, two goldfish and some LNG, ConocoPhillips’ Alaskan safety expert, Peter Micciche will demonstrate why APLNG believes LNG is one of the safest, most reliable and cleanest sources of energy through a series of interactive demonstrations.

An APLNG spokeswomen told The Observer although LNG has been used in Australia for over 20 years, many people still know very little about the product, making the LNG Story a successful tool to ‘demystify’ the misunderstandings about LNG.

“The demonstration explains why LNG is one of the safest, most reliable and cleanest sources of hydrocarbon energy, using props such as a rose, a balloon, a steel pipe, drinking water and goldfish,” the spokeswomen said.

“During the one hour show, people can expect an educational and interactive show, in which they learn the history of LNG and physically see what it looks like.

“This is the third year Australia Pacific LNG has held the show in Gladstone, and each year the feedback has been very positive,”

Curtis Island resident Cheryl Watson has seen the LNG Story and said that it’s wonderful entertainment.

“But that’s it, entertainment only,” Ms Watson said.

“They are using small and safe quantaties of LNG and accidents don’t happen that way where only a little LNG gets out and the goldfish is still alive.

“They are using LNG safely, but life dosen’t happen that way.”

(Source: Gladstone Observer)

Gladstone Oil Refinery Project Abandoned


A $3.5 billion oil refinery earmarked for Gladstone has been abandoned.

Only days before the project was going to be unveiled by Indian tycoon Pankaj Oswal alongside Anna Bligh, reports indicate Mr Oswal abruptly left Australia in December, when his flagship company, Burrup Fertilisers, was put into receivership.

Mr Oswal's oil refinery plan in Gladstone was reported to be quite advanced, with earthworks scheduled to begin in August and major construction in July next year.

Gladstone Economic and Industry development Board chairman Leo Zussino said the project was at a preliminary stage and no initial advice statement or Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) had been undertaken. “The Gladstone region attracts a lot of potential major projects like the LNG industry right through to competition and others such as this fall by the wayside,” Mr Zussino said.

The project was said to create 500 permanent jobs, another 2000 jobs during construction and have a product life of 25 years.

(Source: Gladstone Observer, 2nd March 2011)

GLADSTONE Regional Council CEO to retire in July


GLADSTONE Regional Council chief executive officer Graeme Kanofski has resigned from the council's top job and will finish up in July this year.

The announcement was made at yesterday's council meeting and The Observer broke the news online at 11am.

Mayor Gail Sellers announced at the meeting that Mr Kanofski had tendered his resignation.

Mr Kanofski said it had been an honour and privilege to work for the council.

“It is a special opportunity bestowed on only a few to lead a council like this,” he said.

Major highlights in the region he was proud of were the Boyne Tannum Memorial Gardens Crematorium project and the Gladstone Airport reconstruction project.

“The airport project was the biggest project I've been involved in, and the most difficult. We were trying to build a new airport and keep the old one operating – it's not like we could close the airport for 18 months,” he said.

Mr Kanofski said he served during a period of historical change, with amalgamation, and was sure there would be some challenges for his successor.

Cr Sellers told the meeting that amalgamation went through smoothly because of Mr Kanofski's leadership.

Cr Craig Butler said he'd worked with Mr Kanofski for 15 years and it had been an absolute pleasure.

“You are a strong CEO, with strong leadership and respect of a lot of staff and indeed, the council,” Cr Butler said.

He said one of Mr Kanofski's greatest attributes was his integrity, and that he never compromised it

“He knows when to cut through the bureaucracy and get on with delivering projects and getting the job done,” Cr Butler said.

Upon retiring, Mr Kanofski plans to take about 12 months off to “smell the roses”.

“We're building a new house out at Calliope and we might head out in the caravan for a while,” he said.

Mr Kanofski said it was time for some “new blood” at the top of the organisation.

Fast facts

Graeme Kanofski's career in local government began in 1975 as a cadet local government clerk.

During his 36 year career he worked for five different councils.

He guided the council through amalgamation in 2007.

(Source: Gladstone Observer, 2nd March 2011)

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Welcome to Gladstone Morning Tea


In order to welcome new residents to the Gladstone Region, the Gladstone Regional Council, through it's Community Advisory Service invites everyone, including childen, to the Tondoon Botanical Gardens, to meet new people, learn more about the area and enjoy a free morning tea.

Come and join in the fun from 10:00am - 12:30pm on the following dates:-

** 7 April

** 2 June

** 4 August

** 6 October

** 8 December

Contact
Details: - Luis Arroyo Phone (07) 4976 6352
or email luisa@gladstoneRC.qld.gov.au

Monday, February 14, 2011

Sister City Photographic Exchange




Reckon you can take a photo which captures the essence of Central Queensland?

Then the annual Gladstone/Saiki City photographic exchange, Intercity Images, is the ideal opportunity to showcase your skills with a camera.

Initiated by the Gladstone/Saiki City Advisory Committee and supported by the Gladstone Regional Council, the photographic exchange is open to all Gladstone Region residents. Gladstone Regional Council Community Services portfolio spokesperson Councillor Maxine Brushe said the competition had in past years attracted many stunning images and was confident this year’s exchange would also draw high quality entries.

“The exchange invites amateur and professional photographers of all ages to capture the essence of Central Queensland’s characters, lifestyle and environment,” Cr Brushe said.

“We have had some wonderful photos submitted in the past, and the manner in which photographers, whether professionals or weekend enthusiasts have been able to capture the character of the region never fails to impress.”

The photographic exchange opens at the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum on Wednesday, April 13, with a display of all the Gladstone entries and the announcement of the final 30 selected images.

The selected images will be exhibited in Japan alongside those taken by Saiki City photographers in June. The Gladstone photographic works will then return, alongside the Saiki City entries, to be displayed at the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum, in conjunction with the Multicultural Festival, from August 6.

Entry forms are available from the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum or online at www.gladstonerc.qld.gov.au/gallerymuseum and entries close at 5pm, Monday, April 4.

For more information phone the Gladstone Regional Art Gallery and Museum on 4976 6766 or gregm@gladstonerc.qld.gov.au/gallery/museum